We are open - safety is our top priority!
Posted on: November 19, 2014
Dental Plan Basics: Know Your Insurance Needs
Buying dental insurance is the best way to keep your smile healthy and beautiful for life, but it’s not enough to simply find affordable dental insurance—you should consider which plan would best fit your lifestyle and budget. Before you buy, understanding how dental insurance works and what typical plans cover is essential.
Typical Covered Services and Maximums
Even full coverage dental insurance has limitations. Here are several things to consider before buying or using your dental insurance.
- Dental insurance rarely pays the entire cost of treatment. You may have to pay out-of-pocket expenses or a co-payment.
- In many cases, you’ll also have a yearly deductible that you’ll have to reach before the policy covers anything.
- Preventative care such as cleanings, sealants, x-rays, and general exams are typically covered at 80 to 100 percent. Major dental work may only be covered at 50 percent.
- Most dental insurance plans have a yearly maximum ranging between $1000 and $2500.
- Some treatments, such as cosmetic procedures and implants, may not be covered.
Tips to Maximize Your Affordable Dental Insurance Coverage
Here are four ways to get your money’s worth from your full coverage dental insurance plan.
- Obtain coverage for your entire family. In the long run, you’ll save money by adding everyone.
- Take advantage of free preventative coverage. Early detection of problems prevents expensive treatment later.
- If you have children, be sure your policy includes orthodontic coverage.
- Be sure that your dentist participates in your PPO dental plan.
Five Questions to Ask Before Choosing a Plan
- What annual and biannual preventative services are covered?
- Am I allowed to choose my own dentist?
- Is my coverage limited to the cheapest available treatment options?
- Can I schedule appointments at my own convenience?
- How much will I pay for services, office visits, and procedures?
Quick Facts Every Dental Insurance Buyer Should Know
- Not every dentist accepts insurance.
- You can obtain a pre-treatment estimate to determine cost and check coverage.
- If you don’t meet your yearly maximum, it doesn’t roll over to the next year.
- Know whether your policy is considered a preferred provider organization (PPO) or health maintenance organization (HMO) plan. Different dentists accept different types of plans.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Owings Mills, call Valley Dental Associates today at (443) 898-1240 or make an appointment.
Valley Dental Associates offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Owings Mills. Our office is conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Valley Dental Associates, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Valley Dental Associates.