We are open - safety is our top priority!
Posted on: May 30, 2015
Are You Sensitive About Tooth Sensitivity?
Are you reeling from dealing with sensitive teeth? The most common sign of tooth sensitivity is a stinging sensation when eating anything hot or cold. But you don’t have to suffer in silence or stay away from your favorite foods. Learn out about the many ways to stop and prevent the pain of sensitive teeth.
Brush Up on the Basics
Tooth sensitivity is a dental condition where the tooth’s enamel has eroded or gums have receded to the point that the tooth’s inner layer, called dentin, becomes exposed. This layer is directly connected to the nerves of the tooth, which makes contact with extreme temperatures or touch feel extremely painful. Sensitive teeth are usually caused by harsh brushing, abrasive toothpastes, an acidic diet, or medical conditions. Fortunately, a specialist in family dentistry can help you avoid or address the issue.
Prevent the Pain
Sensitive teeth are common, but they don’t have to happen to you. You can reduce your risk of suffering with these tooth-saving suggestions:
- Maintain good oral hygiene.
- Brush twice daily and floss once a day.
- Choose a non-abrasive toothpaste.
- Use an extremely gentle touch when brushing your teeth.
- Tell an expert in family dentistry if you feel any signs of tooth sensitivity.
- Reduce your intake of acidic foods and beverages.
Treat the Trouble
At the first sign of sensitive teeth, see a family dentistry expert. Discuss your dental discomfort and get a complete examination. If you’re dealing with tooth sensitivity, you’ll most likely be offered both at-home and in-office options, including:
- Try a non-abrasive toothpaste designed for sensitive teeth to avoid further enamel erosion.
- Get a high-fluoride gel, rinse, or toothpaste to protect against future decay.
- Have a protective resin or varnish painted onto the teeth.
- Receive bonding or crowns to protect and strengthen severely decayed teeth.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Owings Mills, call Valley Dental Associates today at (443) 898-1240 or make an appointment.
Valley Dental Associates offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Owings Mills. Our office is conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Valley Dental Associates, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Valley Dental Associates.