We are open - safety is our top priority!
Posted on: May 2, 2014
7 Interesting Dental Implant Facts
Affordable dental implants are inspiring smiles all over the world. Whether you’re seeking a dental implant dentist, or you’re already reaping the benefits of the best dental implants on the market, you probably don’t know all of the following facts about the process and history of tooth implantation.
- Many options exist for tooth replacement, but only dental implants actually look and feel like real teeth.
- Implants are usually made from titanium. They replace the root of a missing tooth and serve as an anchor for the replacement tooth or crown.
- A dental implant cannot get a cavity, but you must still practice good oral hygiene to keep the gums around it healthy.
- Implants can actually preserve bone and stimulate its growth.
- One in four people older than 74 has lost all of their teeth. As many as 69 percent of American adults from age 35 to 44 are missing at least one tooth.
- Around 600 AD, the Mayans attempted to replace the tooth of a woman by hammering a piece of shell into her jaw. Fortunately, modern implants are safer and more effective.
- Look for a dental implant dentist who has credentials from the American Academy of Implant Dentistry (AAID). These dentists have demonstrated competence and met national education standards in implantology. With 4,000 members today, the AAID was formed in 1951 when a small group of dentists specializing in placing dental implants came together to share their knowledge.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Owings Mills, call Valley Dental Associates today at (443) 898-1240 or make an appointment.
Valley Dental Associates offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Owings Mills. Our office is conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Valley Dental Associates, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Valley Dental Associates.