Your dental health is important, and our patients’ safety is our top priority. We want to assure you of the measures we take to maintain a clean and safe environment so you can continue to receive needed dental care without fear or concern. We are monitoring the COVID-19 situation and all CDC guidelines very closely.
7 Common Reasons You Might Need a Dental Crown
Dental crowns or caps are permanent protective coverings that are cemented into place over the visible portions of teeth. They are used to restore the size, shape, and normal function of teeth and improve their appearance. A dental crown is usually created in a dental lab after impressions are made, and the finished product is shaped exactly like the tooth it will cover. Crowns can correct a variety of dental problems in both children and adults. There are many types of dental crowns, both temporary and permanent, which are available in different materials.
Here are seven reasons your dentist in Owings Mills may recommend a dental crown:
- A dental crown can prevent a weak tooth from breaking, or hold parts of a broken tooth together.
- A dental crown can protect and support a tooth with a large filling when there isn’t much left of its natural structure.
- A crown or cap can hold a dental bridge in place or enhance its appearance.
- Dental crowns can solve most cosmetic tooth problems.
- A dental crown is the finishing step in a root canal treatment or dental implant procedure.
- Temporary dental crowns reduce the need for general anesthesia.
- Temporary stainless steel crowns are placed over children’s primary teeth that are weak or at high risk of decay,
Types of Dental Crowns
- Combination or porcelain-fused-to-metal crowns provide a strong and natural-looking surface with the benefit of added durability.
- All-porcelain or all-ceramic dental crowns are good choices for front teeth because of their natural appearance and color-matching ability. They are also a good option for people with metal allergies.
- Metals and metal alloys such as gold, nickel, chromium, and palladium are used to make permanent dental crowns. With metal crowns, less of the natural tooth is removed, and their durable nature provides a strong chewing surface. Because metal crowns are highly visible, they are usually reserved for molars.
- Composite resin crowns are less expensive than other types, but they are also weaker and more vulnerable to fracture.
- Stainless steel crowns are preformed, temporary crowns that protect teeth while permanent crowns are being made. They are affordable and can be placed in a single visit.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Owings Mills, call Valley Dental Associates today at (443) 898-1240 or make an appointment.
Valley Dental Associates offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Owings Mills. Our office is conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Valley Dental Associates, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Valley Dental Associates.